Sunday, February 26, 2012

February Run: Lauren and the Lazy Day 5K

For the second running event of this year, I enjoyed a relaxed 3.1 miles with my wonderful sister-in-law. I'm smiling as I type, thinking about Lauren and how thankful I am to have such a kind, loving, down-to-earth, authentic, Godly, generous, talented, joyful sister-in-law! Lauren lives life gracefully, with a beauty of spirit that is infectious. Spending time with her is always a joy, and she inspires me in so many ways (mostly spiritual ways, but I'm also feeling inspired to try and decorate my house...)

I knew I wanted to do a 5K with her back when the plan of doing a monthly running event with a friend first popped into my mind. We decided on February, and we also decided to make a weekend of it. My family drove to Austin and the whirlwind of cousin activity, fabulous meals, shopping, and visiting began. I think it wore us all out, but it was so much fun!

We couldn't find an actual 5K event to join, so we got creative about it. We decided that neither of us (especially her) care for getting up at 7 AM for a race anyway, so we formed our own event and named it "The Lazy Day 5K." I had custom t-shirts made. (BTW, A really great website for cool, affordable shirts is customized girl.com.) We slept in on Saturday morning, then went to a beautiful trail by a river for our 5K. I kept track of the distance with my runkeeper app. We took it pretty easy so we could talk, and I'm so glad we did because it was a sweet visit. We shared a lot about past and present, about our faith and the desires of our hearts, about our roles as mothers and daughters, and about lots of deep important stuff that we don't always get a chance to discuss. The 3.1 miles flew by. We continued our morning together with a little shopping at the beautiful Georgetown Square and a delicious lunch at the famous Monument Cafe.

These monthly running events are quickly becoming the highlights of every month for me. I am loving the time I get to spend with people who are so special to me...and Lauren is definitely close to my heart. She and Cody's brother, and their two precious kids are a blessing in my life.

Next month: Cody and I head to Tyler, TX with a super fun couple to run the Azalea 10K. There may be guns, injuries, wine, deep conversations, and/or impulsive decisions involved when Jackie and I descend upon a sleepy, unsuspecting town. Stay tuned.


4 comments:

Lauren C. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lauren C. said...

Thanks so much Becky - your sweet words warmed my heart. I am blessed to have you as my sister-in-law. Love you...Lauren

Lauren C. said...

I deleted my first comment b/c it had a typo and I just couldn't handle it. I thought I should explain, because "this comment has been removed by the author" sounds like I typed a string of cuss words and then thought better about it. I didn't - I just couldn't handle the typo. :)

BECKY said...

I forgot to mention she hates typos...it's one of the many traits I love about her. :)