Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Dreaming

I was looking through my posts and found an old draft I never finished/posted. Well, pull that sucker out, dust it off, and here it is...

I had a first last night- I was dreaming while I was taking care of Lucas in the middle of the night. We've all heard of sleep-walking and sleep-talking (both of which I have done many times.) Now I can add sleep-nursing to the list. I remember dreaming that Lucas and I were on the beach and I was trying to feed him and change his diaper. I kept thinking how terribly sandy and dirty we were getting. I was feeling upset, and hot. I could feel his weight as I carried him about, looking for a clean place to lay him down. Suddenly, I realized that I was not on the beach at all, but sitting in my glider feeding Lucas. The beach scene had seemed so real that I was shocked to discover the truth and more than a little disoriented. I did not remember picking him up, or carrying him to the glider.

It's like that strange feeling of suddenly realizing I've driven a distance without consciously remembering the process of driving. It usually happens on a well-known route, when I am sleepy, or have a lot on my mind. My body performed all the tasks while my brain was otherwise engaged.

Now, if I could perfect taking care of Lucas through the night without actually waking up...that would be something.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I've never done anything like that, but I do the driving thing all of the time. It's amazing how our minds are so versatile and can function while we are thinking of other things...or sleeping. :)

Unknown said...

That is a weird feeling. I think it is similar to singing all the exact words to a song and then not even realizing you were singing. I do this in the car often.