Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Community Hunger Day

October 22 Central Dallas Ministries is hosting a community hunger day during which people are urged to skip a meal or two and donate the money to purchasing food for the hungry. I probably won't skip a meal (I'm nursing so I can use that as an excuse, but really I am just really bad at fasting...), but that doesn't mean I can't still donate! Actually, Cody and I have supported CDM for many years now. Here are the top 5 reasons why I love CDM:

1. Larry James. This CEO of Central Dallas Ministries is a modern-day prophet. He calls out against social injustice and reminds us to not get so comfortable that we forget Jesus' key message of loving our neighbors. He has a great blog. When I read it, it forces me to remember what is truly important.

2. Partnership. CDM is not a typical "charity." Sure, it offers the temporary fixes people need, but it is focused on change. And many who originally came for a hand-out end up giving back to CDM themselves.

3. The Money Goes to the Cause. Over 90% of donations are spent on their programs.

4. Vision. CDM is constantly focused on forward motion. New programs, plans, ideas are being set in motion all the time. It doesn't grow stale. It progresses with the times and is usually even ahead of the times when it comes to providing social change.

5. Personal. Sometimes Larry James scribbles a hand-written note of thanks on a receipt I get for my donation. People are urged to come visit and see what is going on there. Groups are asked to come give their time working with the community volunteers. Forming friendships between economic and racial lines is the norm. People are not viewed as "projects" but given the respect and dignity they deserve.

I wanted everyone to be aware of this opportunity to donate to an organization that is truly doing a wonderful job of ministering to those in need. $1 provides 7 pounds of food. If you would like to donate (any amount) please click on the link on the upper right side of the page. I am not going to mention it again until a few days before the Community Hunger Day. I'm sure many of my readers are already active in providing money and time to various causes, and I don't want anyone to feel obligated. But if this sounds good to you, then it's easy to click and donate through a completely secure fund-raising site.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love reading his blog also. I've learned A LOT.

Larry James said...

Becky, you are so kind to endorse our Community Hunger Day! Thanks so much for taking the extra effort to set up a donation page for this effort. We have no better supporters, no better encouragers than you and Cody. Thanks so very much!