Friday, September 28, 2007

More on Going Natural

So tonight I found yet another food item in our house that contains high fructose corn syrup. Hunts spaghetti sauce. Probably most other brands contain it as well. So add this to the list of things that I will have to look for in a good organic brand next time I go to the store.

I am using whole wheat spaghetti for the first time tonight though. I'll have to let you know how it tastes later. (Hope it is good!) (Hope my kids don't freak out.) Ava has pronounced the new natural peanut butter as "yucky," but I can't understand why. I think it tastes great. I probably should have snuck it in on a sandwich instead of offering it on a cracker first. Why is the word "snuck" showing as misspelled? Is "snuck" a word? Apparently it is not a word. Ohhhhh, I bet the correct word is sneaked. Well, you learn something new every day don't you.

7 comments:

Brooke said...

Michael makes me use ground turkey in our spaghetti. I really can't tell the difference and it is better for you.

Lindsay said...

I love whole wheat pasta! I started using whole wheat about the time I got pregnant with Kimbo. I did not realize that High Fructose Corn Syrup was the number 2 ingredient in my whole wheat bread!!!! Thanks for the heads up!

Irene said...

hey! we've been "eating healthier" for a few years now. it will definitely make a difference for the kids and you might be surprised at how the change will affect your health, energy and sleep as well. but be ready, it's not cheap to eat healthy. the best advice we were given was to shop the perimeter of the store. that is where the freshest and whole foods are (usually the organic section is there, too). The majority of what you buy/eat should be from there. the stuff in the middle is most likely packed with "junk" and VERY processed, unfortunately it's also cheaper. Best of luck! Oh! Some people just drain the oil off the top of the pbutter. We drain a little and stir in the rest. and when you get a little more comfortable with the "deeper end" ;D artifical colors are important to watch for, too. those suckers are EVERYWHERE.

Unknown said...

I like whole wheat pasta too. I don't think it tastes that different at all - hope your family thinks so too! And like Brooke said, I substitute ground turkey in a lot of things now and really can't tell the difference. That's another one to try.

Heather said...

We have been making our spaghetti with whole wheat pasta, turkey meat, and organic pasta sauce for a while now...I love it!! Hope you all enjoyed it.

Amberly said...

How did you like the whole wheat spaghetti? I've tried it but I have never liked it. But, it seems that I am in the minority, so maybe I should give it another shot...

Unknown said...

I didn't really care for the whole wheat pasta, but since so many people love it I was wondering if
1. maybe a different brand would be better?
2. maybe it's an acquired taste?
It was not terrible, but not so yummy either.