Sunday, January 6, 2008

Mighty Hunter

I didn't think it would happen at the tender young age of 3, but Cody took Nate on his first hunting trip to the family farm. My eyes teared up a little as I watched Cody load the truck, then buckle in our precious cargo. (I was free to tear up since I had already given Cody the "You better not let anything happen to my son while he is in your care for 2 days on a farm in the middle of nowhere because he is just a 3 year old baby and he has to be watched like a hawk, like a hawk do you understand me, so don't take your eyes off of him for 2 seconds because all kinds of awful things could possibly happen and I must know that you understand how incredibly important this is" speech earlier that day.)
Nate and the "boys" (including Grandad and Uncle Cord) had a great time together. And the "girls" plus baby Lucas (poor baby Lucas had to hang out with the girls this time) had fun here, too. We hit the mall and did some hunting of our own- bargain hunting. Plus we visited Granna and Ava's best friend Hannah.
Cody got a deer. Nate got to feed the cows and ride the four wheeler. And then Nate got sick with fever shortly before returning home. When they puled into the driveway at midnight, Cody carried in a sleepy, hot, miserable boy. Nate was awake as he lay curled in his daddy's arms. He looked up and me and said, "Mama, I have a wever." in the most pathetic voice imaginable. After I picked my heart up off the floor, I helped Cody change him into pjs, gave him medicine and water, and tucked him into bed. I had missed him so much while he was gone.
I love it that Nate got to have a special weekend with his Daddy. I hope he has many many more in the years to come.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

That was really great for Cody to take Nate on his trip. I am sure that down the road, he will love the memories he's made with his dad on weekends just like this! How special for him!

Quad Squad! said...

I'm sure that Jim will take the boys hunting someday, and I'm sure it will be very hard for me when he does, but I'll bet he doesn't take them when they're three!

Stephanie said...

That is a great picture, and I'm glad Nate got to go with Cody! How fun! I can't wait till Caleb gets to go on fun trips with Chris!

Anonymous said...

One question. How big was the deer!? A very important detail to other hunters.

-jim-

Kim said...

You are a brave woman! I'm not sure I would have been okay with that at 3 yrs. old. My dad took my brother when he was 8 years old and ended up having to shoot a skunk. They both came home and had to bury their clothes in the ground. I remember laughing so hard at the look on my brother's face when he realized he was going to bury his clothes!

Amberly said...

Sam took Samuel camping with the church group when he was 3 also. Samuel still talks about their special camping trip & everything they did. Those times are so special!