Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Things I did in 2007

Starting last year, I've been copying an idea I first saw on jazz pianist Barry Brake's web site. I enjoyed reading through his lists because they are not comprised of the usual accomplishments one might list when thinking back over the year. Nor are they "brag-fests." Instead he focused on some small and some larger life changes, events, or even states of mind that marked the year and stood out in his memory.

It's good to reflect on life, so here are a few of the things I did in 2007:

1. Went Natural. I'm not going to claim that there are no hydrogenated oils or high fructose corn syrups somewhere in my pantry at this moment. But, I know that they are few and far between now that I am purposefully buying organic and natural foods that lack these ingredients. I am not sure why I waited so long to join this bandwagon, but it makes me feel better to know that our family is eating healthier now.

2. Created a Middle Child. I did this by bearing a third child, of course. Hopefully, Nate won't live up to the negative qualities sometimes associated with middle children. Ava's already embodying the first-born persona quite well as she orders Nate around all day. And Lucas is the "baby." But, he really is a baby so I think that's okay.

3. Read 47 books. Maybe I do this every year, who knows? But this year I kept a running list of books I have read and was surprised to find that the final number was so high. Before you imagine me sitting around reading all day while my children run wild and scavenge for food, let me just say that I read really fast and it is a favorite evening activity of mine.

4. Got TIVO. Ahhhhhhhh, TIVO. Sweet, wonderful, blessed TIVO. I don't even watch that much tv. But, the shows Cody and I do want to see come on right when we're bathing the kids and putting them to bed. Taping them to watch later in the evening was a huge chore and the picture was low quality. Now we don't have to think about it. And we can watch shows faster by skipping commercials. This has to be one of my favorite inventions.

5. Created a Facebook account. I tried Myspace once and didn't like it. Facebook is much more fun and is a great tool for connecting with old college friends and also current friends. I think these "social networking sites" get a bad wrap sometimes. I guess it's possible one might go crazy by withdrawing from reality and focusing only on their "Facebook life." But most normal people probably use it as I do- and enjoy staying in touch with friends.

6. Published my blog. I used the site Lulu.com to turn my blog entires into a real paperback book. I did it when I reached 500 entries. I will pass the book along to my kids one day and give them a glimpse into my thoughts and life during the time when they were preschoolers. Hopefully, they won't be too mortified.

7. Made a gingerbread house. Ava and Nate are old enough to help me, so the three of us created a masterpiece which sat on our table for the month of December. I want to do this every year. We all enjoyed making it together. I am just now starting to form some traditions with my kids that I hope we all cherish for a long time.

8. Taught an adult Bible class at church. It was about the book Living With Less by Mark Tabb. I am pretty sure that was a first for me, unless I am blocking out some horrible memory of a class gone wrong. This class went mostly right and was a big growing experience for me.

That is all I can think of for now. What did you do?

4 comments:

Kristi said...

Becky,
I would love to hear more about why you went natural!

Neat idea for the blog books!!

The solution to helping a middle child is to have another!!

Happy New Year!!

Lynn Leaming said...

I started reading blogs in 2007 from first reading yours and then thought. I can do that too! Have a blessed 2008!!

Amberly said...

HA! I love Kristi's comment... have another child. Then, Nate won't have that excuse! :)

When I read #1 on your list, "Went Natural", so many hippie-like thoughts ran through my head. I was wondering what in the world you had decided to do! I like your food idea better than any that I had thought of, though!

Lindsay said...

Too fun! Way to go on your book reading. I should have documented all of my books - I will start this year. I am sure 2007 is the most I have ever read. I am also with you on the going natural. I had been doing it gradually over the years but did not know about High Fructose Corn Syrup problems until you. It is hard to escape that and hydrogenated oils! America wants it all too convenient.