Friday, February 27, 2009

Surreal

Wednesday night I piled all the kids in the car, backed out of the garage, and headed to McDonalds to meet a friend for dinner before church. I didn't get very far (probably 25 yards) when I noticed a toddler playing by herself right by the street. I slowed way down, looking to see if I spotted any adults. I didn't. This little 2 or 3 year old girl was all by herself just playing happily where the alley joined the street. So, I pulled over and got out. The girl came right over to me. I half expected some crazed parent to come running once they saw their baby talking with a stranger next to a van, but nobody came. I asked the girl where her mama was and where she lived. I received some vague talk and pointing in reply. I figured she lived in the closest house, but did not feel comfortable taking her to a house when I was not sure she belonged there. My only option, I figured, was to call the police. I called 911, explained the situation, then waited. It took 10 minutes for the police officer to arrive. During that time I just knew someone would come out frantic about the girl but no one ever did. I stood by the van and watched her play in the small grassy area next to the street. Finally the officer arrived and carried her to the nearest house. I saw him talk to the man that came to the door, then hand her over. He came back to where I was (a good 15 yards away from the house) and told me the man had let her out to play and forgotten the garage door was open. I just couldn't believe it. That girl could have easily been hit by a car, and very easily be taken by anyone that wanted to take her. I am not sure when the parents would have realized she was missing had I not called the police. When I first saw her playing by herself I wondered if I was even seeing it right because surely no one lets their 2 year old play outside near a street by themselves. And of course, the parents didn't intend for that to happen, but it seems like you would want to be 100% certain your child is playing in a safe area. It was just a really strange experience...something I never expected to see in my own neighborhood. Something I will probably never see again. I hope.

5 comments:

Jenni said...

Yikes!

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness you found her and saw that she was taken care of. It would've been on the news about a child wandering off . . . Thankfully, I've never been there, but how do you "forget" your own child?

Jen said...

Coming home from class one day I saw a little boy in just a diaper walking in the middle of our road, headed towards a VERY busy city street. I pulled over and distracted him with beach toys from the trunk while I called the police. They came and could not figure out where he belonged so they sent out sniffer dogs to sniff him home, the mother came out of an apartment looking for him. I was with this child for over an hour, she never even said thank you. Evidently she fell asleep and he let himself out of the house. The officer later came to my house and told me thank you, and said not many people would have stopped.

Christina said...

Wow - that is really sad! That's such a young age to let your kid outside unattended. I hope I never see anything like that.

Elaine said...

ugh, that is such a gripping story! thank goodness you came along!