Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Camping Weekend

I can't believe I didn't take a single picture all weekend while we were camping. I even had my camera there. I just never got it out. Our family had a great time, especially since there were four other families there with us to hang out with. The more other kids to play with, the happier my kids. There was no shortage of playmates or activities, or dirt or heat for that matter. I absolutely love camping, but I have to admit it was a bit hot and humid this past weekend. I was in a a stage of perpetual wetness with dirt and sand sticking to every bare part of my body. I did not even want to think about holding a child. And if we had not had a fan at night, I probably would have died. Other than that, it was a total blast!

We did lots of fishing, swimming, playing, eating, and even a scavenger hunt. We had some really tasty meals. I love cooking outdoors. In fact, I love the whole idea of being in a more primitive setting, just making due with what you have and not worrying about it. It's such a simple, easy-going way of doing things.

We usually don't bathe until returning home from camping, but those kids got so filthy that we had to give in and take them to the showers Saturday night. I put a white washcloth to Ava's face and it came back black. I think we all slept better that night after cleaning up a little. The next morning was glorious.

I woke up first, inwardly rejoicing that the rest of the family was still sound asleep. I was excited because it meant I could grab my book and read outside for a while all by myself. The birds were chirping, the trees were beautiful, the air was cool, and the breeze was perfect. I was kicked back in my reclining chair reading a great book. That is my idea of a perfect morning.

Although it was a fun weekend, I think we'll try to plan future camping trips for fall or spring only. The summer heat really takes a toll on everyone.

1 comment:

Dara said...

It was great fun! I wish I would have taken more pictures... but caught a few! I really wish I would have video-taped Ava and Emma doing the "bop to the top" dance! Too cute!!! Good times! Yes, let's aim for cooler weather next time!!! wheewww!