Thursday, November 12, 2009

It Worked...Sort Of

I did a pyramid scheme and actually got something in return. I know, it's shocking. I usually throw those kinds of letters away. Especially when I am asked to bother 6 friends so they can bother 6 of their friends to mail a recipe to someone they don't know. Yea such fun! I always think, I don't need recipes from a stranger, this is too much effort, I don't even have 6 friends...etc, as I throw it in the trash. I never contact the person who sent it and tell them I am not participating either. It always states that somewhere in the letter: Please let me know if you can't do this within a week as it is unfair to everyone else... What's unfair is getting bombarded with requests for stupid things like this. But, this time, it was different. It involved books. And we all know I have a hard time saying no to books. I thought, why not? It says I will get 36 books in return for mailing just one book to a stranger. (Yeah right, I never expected to get 36 in return, are you kidding me?) I did have to bug 6 friends, but I took out the line that instructs people to tell me if they can't do it. Instead, I told them I don't care if they do it or not. Feel free to throw this letter away, with my blessing! And voila, after a couple of weeks the books have started pouring in! Well, not pouring, exactly. I've gotten 3. But that is still a hefty return on my investment of one book. And one of the books I got was a book I have really been wanting to read: Julie and Julia: My Year of Cooking Dangerously. (It wasn't that great, by the way, so yea for getting it for free!) It has been fun getting these surprise packages in my mailbox. I'm glad that for once I shed my natural dislike of the pyramid scheme and had a little fun. But, please don't take that as an invitation to mail me a request. I'm 95% certain to throw the next one in the trash.

1 comment:

Elaine said...

I'm with you on the whole thing... I've gotten 3 books as well - 2 came from people you passed my address on to, so thanks for playing along!