Saturday, April 3, 2010

New Shoes

So I kept hearing over and over and OVER how important it is to have a good pair of running shoes. Needless to say, since I have not run in over a decade, I didn't own a good pair of running shoes. To complicate matters, I wasn't completely sure what the definition of "good running shoes" was.

After running about 3 times, I figured I should protect myself as soon as possible. So, I asked a friend who knows a lot about running to give me the short course on how to buy running shoes.

Since I don't log a lot of miles, it isn't too important to know if I pronate, over-pronate, prostrate, kabblafastrate, etc...(I made a few of those up.) I have no idea what any of those terms mean. But the good news is, I just need a basic $40 pair of running shoes. He recommended the brand Saucony.

I was relieved to hear this news because I figured running shoes would set a person back at least $100. Since they weren't as expensive as I feared, I rushed out this morning and picked up a pair of Saucony shoes at Academy.


Ta-dah! Cute, huh? And cushion-y. Ooooh so cushion-y. I can tell a big difference between these and 5 year old cross trainers I had been using to run. (I bet every serious runner just winced at that sentence...running in 5 year old cross trainers? Yikes!)

The new shoes, along with my new running clothes and new stopwatch are really making me look the part. Unfortunately, my body is still lagging behind a little. My body is determined to make this a slow process. I'll post more later on my training plans. I also want to share a little about my running partner (be afraid, Karen) and a new free app I found for iphone that looks very promising!

No comments: