Friday, May 7, 2010

The Heart Mender

The Heart Mender by Andy Andrews is a unique book that defies categorization. The author claims the story is true, though names have been changed to protect identities. It reads like a novel, with a bit of Christian teaching on forgiveness tossed in for good measure. Some of the conversations between characters seem a bit contrived, in order to get the view on forgiveness thoroughly covered, but other than that I have few complaints. It really is a remarkable story. I saw it more as an incredible glimpse into history (it is set during WWII) than a life-changing tale of forgiveness. It's a fast-paced, quick read that I think most people would find interesting. I think Andrews writing style is decent, but not overly inspiring. He tends to get bogged down in unimportant details, dry attempts at wit/humor, and sometimes he beats ideas over the head until even the most dense reader is sure to get the picture loud and clear. Overall, it is a nice story and a worthwhile read. It made me wonder about the stories my grandparents might be able to tell.

No comments: