Monday, May 3, 2010

Personal Goal Accomplished

This weekend we camped in the beautiful Chickasaw National Recreation Area near Sulphur, OK. The weather was perfect, the scenery was amazing, and I accomplished a goal here that I had been wanting to accomplish for a long time. I ran a mile without stopping to walk. It may have been the beauty of my surroundings that helped. (Just look at that canopy of trees, and there was also a softly rushing creek by the road which was sweet music for my ears.)

Just 5 weeks ago I could barely run 2 minutes without gasping. Saturday, I ran 12.56 minutes straight which completed a mile. I really wasn't sure if I would ever be able to do it because running has always been such a challenge for me. I went on to run a total of 3.1 miles (with a bit of walking mixed in), and I am ready for my first 5K next weekend.

I can't describe how great it felt to finally accomplish something in an area where I have always felt inadequate. I know that my value is not wrapped up in running, but there is value in setting a goal, working hard to accomplish it, then seeing the hard work come to fruition.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That is truly awesome...way to go!

Dara said...

Amazing, Becky!

Quad Squad! said...

BECKY!!!!! That's so great! I'm both proud of you and inspired by you! I'm so impressed!