Saturday, December 10, 2011

Questions

A few months ago, it was brought to my attention that Jesus asked a ton of questions in scripture. It seems like a lot of times he even taught with questions, not detailed dialogues. I was encouraged in a study to think about what question Jesus might be asking me...right now. Since I do believe God's Word is living and active, the idea that a question might be being asked of me isn't beyond my belief. I figured if I spent some time praying, quiet and listening, I may hear a question specific to my heart and life.

The first thing I did was look up a list of questions Jesus asked. I didn't realize how many there are! This site lists 100 of them. I thought about pasting the list here, but it's very long. I read over the list, thinking a bit of context might be helpful for a few of them, then I spent time sitting still and listening.

It didn't take long at all to hear, clearly, the question Jesus was asking me personally. He asked, "Am I enough for you?"
Maybe that seems like an odd question, but to me it was exactly what needed to be asked. What do I think I need besides Jesus? And for a long time there have been many things on that list. Do I need people to think or feel a certain way about me? Do I need to appear to have it all together? Do I need to achieve something career-wise or gain respect from peers? Maybe I need to own a few special items, or feel safe financially. I realized I had a long list of things I "needed" and I was forced to confront the question "Can I be satisfied, fully content, with only Jesus...even if I have none of these other things?"

I have wrestled with that question now, and continue to hear it being asked in my life. Sometimes I even repeat the phrase "Is God enough for me?" while I jog to force myself to come to a conclusion and live by it. It hasn't been an easy question to hear and meditate on, but it has been revealing and instructive to me.

I could stop there, having disclosed something fairly personal. Or, I could go ahead and prompt the reader to think about the possibility that God may have a question for your heart as well. I have no idea what it might be, but a curious soul could sit and listen for a bit and probably find out. My only warning is that it might not be comfortable, but it is definitely worth it.

No comments: