Thursday, February 16, 2012

Foodie

It's time for some random food blogging.

I ate this little creature at my very first crawfish boil last week. I had no idea what I was getting into. That is a process! I tried to view as little of the cooking as possible because I have an aversion to tossing live animals into boiling water. It was hard enough for me to get my mind in the zone where I could twist off the head, peel the tail, and eat it. And no, I did not suck out the stuff in the head area as a true Cajun would. It tasted ok to me, but the grossness factor is a bit hard to overcome. Also, it is a ton of work for a tiny piece of meat!
Going in a completely different direction, how about a slow cooker recipe that is absolutely fabulous...Garlic Pork Roast. I was making dinner to take to friends this week and the lady has lots of allergies. I needed a recipe that was pretty much meat and vegetables, but I was afraid it would taste bland. I stumbled upon this recipe and figured I would give it a shot because it called for lots of garlic, lemon peel, and thyme. I even nixed the chicken broth and used water because I had to keep it allergy free for my friend. Let me tell you, this roast turned out amazing. The flavor was perfect. It had this great lemon-garlic taste, and our whole family enjoyed it. One tip- use a few sprigs of fresh thyme instead of dried.


And moving on to another random topic...this treat was in my Valentine basket of goodies from Cody this week. It's a little involved. Mix water, milk, and this loose tea product in a saucepan, boil, then simmer, then strain with cheesecloth into a mug...but it's worth the effort. It has an interesting, delicious blend of chocolate and chai flavors.


And finally, if you're looking for a great (budget) wine to try, I highly recommend Santa Ema Merlot 2008. It's got a 90 point rating, and it is extremely well priced. I've seen it from $7-$10 a bottle in various stores. This has been our go-to wine lately. It's got a nice, smooth, well-balanced taste and it really is a steal.

1 comment:

Elaine said...

I love Santa Ema Merlot! If that is the same one (vintage) I tried a few years ago it was described as having "notes of chocolate" and I'll be darned, I could taste the chocolate!

I am going to try the pork roast recipe. I love using my slow cooker. Also, I just experimented with buying an entire pork loin and carving it myself (very economical). Can't wait to use this with the roast I put in the freezer. Thanks Becky!