Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Two Recipes

Yesterday I woke up with a craving for oatmeal raisin cookies.  So I went to my trusty America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook because they always have the best recipes.  But I did something I never do...I tweaked their recipe.  And I love the way it turned out.  Here is my version:

1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp nutmeg
2 sticks unsalted butter (softened)
1 cup light brown sugar
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
3 cups oats (quick or old fashioned)
3/4 cup chocolate chips
3/4 cup raisins

Heat oven to 325.  Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg.  Set aside.  Beat butter and sugars together until light and fluffy.  Beat in eggs one at a time, scarping bowl.  Slowly mix in flour mixture until combined.  Slowly mix in oats, raisins, choc. chips until just incorporated.  Using about 1/4 cup of dough, place balls on parchment paper lined baking sheets about 2 1/2 inches apart.  Flatten slightly.  Bake two pans at a time for about 20-22 minutes, rotating pans halfway through.  Cool on baking sheets 10 minutes.

You can also make the cookies smaller, just cook for less time.

The other recipe I wanted to share is totally different.  It's a spinachy non-dessert, but it does use nutmeg, so I guess they have something in common: my love of nutmeg.  I made it at Easter and remembered how much I love this dish.

SPINACH SQUARES

10 oz. package frozen spinach
1 stick butter (melted)
3 eggs, beaten
1 cup milk
1/2 pound cheddar shredded
1 cup flour
1 cup chopped onion
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
pepper
1/4 tsp. nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350.  Cook spinach according to package directions and drain well.  Combine all ingredients and mix well.  Place into 9 by 13 pan.  Bake 30 minutes, cool 5 minutes.  Cut in smaller squares for appetizer, larger squares for a side dish.

No comments: