Friday, October 12, 2012

I Love CA: The Ocean

The Pacific Ocean is vastly different from the Gulf waters where we like to rent a beach house south of Galveston.  Despite being named "peaceful," it does not beckon to people with calm warm waves.  Instead, I practically hear it saying stay back!  I'm angry and cold.  If you try to wade into me I'm going to knock you down!  

I could stand and watch the ocean waves forever.  I'm not exaggerating much...just provide some food and a port-o-potty and I'd stay an entire day.  The endless crashing of the waters, the rolling waves in the distance and closer...it all draws me into a state of meditative bliss.  It was a given that we'd head over to the coast, a brief hour and a half drive through a pretty forest, at some point on our trip.


I thought I was at a safe distance, but those waves are tricky!  I felt like a child when I suddenly realized a larger wave had crashed and I was about to get drenched!  Cody was snapping pictures of me and laughing...

I was laughing, too.  I couldn't believe I had soaked my jeans up to my shins.  They were still damp many hours later.


I love the moment when a wave first starts to curl over on itself.

And I love the splash as it hits the beach.

I love the foam and bubbles.

I love the ocean.  It's so...big.  I'm in awe of its power, and the power of the One who created it.  I'm humbled by my smallness.  I'm thankful for beauty.


No comments: