Tuesday, August 1, 2006

Deniers

I've been following the Mel Gibson story- I'm sure everyone knows that he was arrested for driving drunk and made a bunch of anti-semitic comments. His apology and hot-shot Jewish leaders' responses are all being scrutinized by the media. One little tidbit I read intrigued me more than all else and it isn't even a direct part of the Mel Gibson fiasco. One article mentioned that his dad is a known Holocaust denier. I've heard that these people exist, but it is really hard for me to believe. I don't see how such a huge monumental event with tons of eye-witnesses from BOTH sides, the killers and the victims, could be fabricated. The mounds and mounds of evidence of this horrible event are so obvious that denying it ever took place would be like someone trying to deny 9-11 happened. And one more thing that this story brought up that is bothering me...
Now we're back to talking how The Passion of Christ movie is out of line for portraying the Jews as the instigators of Christ's death. Well, we might as well change the Biblical account to make all the present day Jews feel better, because the Bible tells it the same way. Sorry folks, but that's just the way it happened, so if someone wants to make a movie about it and stick to the facts then that is the way it will come out in the movie as well. (By the way, this doesn't make me look down on or feel dislike for Jewish people. This happened over 2000 years ago, in a different era full of different people and was all a part of God's plan of redemption anyway.) I'm sure there are a bunch of movies portraying historical events where Christians behaved terribly, and we've just got to look at it, learn from it and not blame people for making our religion look bad.

1 comment:

carrie said...

Happy Birthday, Becky! I hope you have a fun 30th birthday trip with Cody!