Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Century Plant

Our neighbor has a century plant in her front yard. We didn't know it was called this until recently. Cody noticed this huge tree trunk looking thing growing from the middle of the plant when he and the kids were out walking. He talked to our neighbor and she explained how this particular plant doesn't bloom except after about 25 years or so. I looked it up on wikipedia because I wanted to know more about this strange plant. Turns out, it dies after it blooms. So this is its one last hurrah. The large trunk (which resembles an overgrown asparagus stalk) grows QUICKLY. I read somewhere about 5-6 inches per day, although hers seems to have grown even faster than that. So now I am really looking forward to seeing the bloom. I'll try to post a pic of that when it happens. I think it will be soon.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

How neat! I can't wait to see the picture when it blooms too!