Sunday, June 24, 2007

The Bloom

Although the name "century plant" is a bit misleading (it really blooms after about 20-25 years), it's still an uncommon sight to see one of these spiky plants in bloom. The sad part is that now the plant will die. This is the bloom I promised to post long ago when I first mentioned my neighbor's century plant. The bloom has actually looked like this for several weeks now and I just finally got around to taking a picture of it to share. And the more times I type the word "bloom" the stranger and stranger it is becoming. I am now starting to doubt that "bloom" is even a real word. I know it is, though. It's kind of like the word "shampoo." Try saying that a few times and see if it doesn't start to lose some of its meaning. My my, how my thoughts are rambling this afternoon. Maybe it's because I didn't get much sleep last night thanks to a little 4 1/2 month old baby who shall remain nameless. (He's looking at me with big, innocent eyes as if to say, "Who, me??")

No comments: