Friday, December 19, 2008

Book Review

I've mentioned on the B.A.D. Girls Book Club blog that I signed up to review books for Thomas Nelson publishers. They have an area where one can sign up to become a book review blogger. The company sends a free book and in return you read it and post a written review on your blog and also an online retail store. Read more about this program here.

My first book to review is called The Unseen by T.L. Hines.

The Unseen has a few things really going for it. It's a fast paced, action packed story with unpredictable plot twists. The main character is developed really well. I became almost attached to him, as his motives, thoughts, actions, and emotions were so raw and realistic. As I read, I felt like I had become entangled with the main character in this impossible and dangerous web. I would have thought I would find the idea of a loner who felt connected to people while observing them without their knowledge too creepy, but instead I felt a compassion for him. I even liked him. And occasionally the writing of this novel reaches lyrical and expressive beauty. That being said, there are also some drawbacks. I felt the overall story which only becomes visible in the end was rather weak. There was a lot of bloodshed and trouble over something that didn't seem very important to me. All characters other than the main character are one-dimensional and their motives, thoughts, actions, and emotions did not always seem very believable to me. Especially at the very end when a female character makes some choices regarding the main character that I found totally unbelievable. I finished the book quickly because it held my interest and I wanted to know what was going to happen. But I was left with a feeling of wanting more substance. I was hoping all the confusing twists and loose strings would wrap up in something a bit more amazing. I would only recommend this book to people who absolutely love science fiction thrillers. Anyone else would probably be disappointed. I gave it 3 out of 5 stars on Amazon.com.

1 comment:

TL Hines said...

Hi, Becky - Thanks for reading, and for offering an honest review of what you liked, and didn't like. (Hey, debate and discussion are always good.)