Sunday, December 28, 2008

My Little Girl

Could someone just pinch me or something. Better yet, I think I need one of those slaps across the face they give overly hysterical people in movies. I am losing my mind. I am an emotional wreck over my little girl tonight. It's bad, people.

It started innocently enough this afternoon when I took her shoe shopping. The sneakers we got at the start of school are already worn out! I suggested she might want shoes with laces, and she agreed. We bought her first pair of non-velcro shoes. I showed her a couple of times how to tie them in the store and by the time we got home she was able to do it on her own. I was surprised. I was also surprised at how tender my heart suddenly felt as I watched my baby girl tying shoelaces.

If that wasn't bad enough, I decided to check her teeth because I had noticed a slightly loose tooth a few weeks ago. I can't believe I've forgotten to check it since then. Today when I looked, it was barely hanging on! So now, my shoe-tying baby girl is about to lose her first tooth. Her first tooth, people. Do you hear me?

Let me see if I can explain this another way. The sweet, precious, tiny little baby girl I brought home from the hospital, flipped through countless pages of baby books trying to figure out how to take care of her, held her as she screamed for hours at a time, had her spit-up on my shirt 85% of the time, rocked her to sleep in my arms....has started Kindergarten, learned how to tie her own shoes, and is losing the tooth that broke through her gums at the tender age of 6 months. She's growing so fast, she's practically getting married tomorrow.

All this was already on my mind when I sat down to finish the lackluster movie (I know everybody seems to rave about it, but seriously?) Mamma Mia. And as if I didn't already have it bad enough, the song Slipping Through My Fingers by ABBA was played. I became a heaving mound of tears and I am still trying to get over it.

Here, listen to this.


Now, can you understand why I am a basket case tonight? She's asleep right now and all I want to do is go in there and cuddle up next to her and hold her for a while. Now I am crying again.
I've got to get a hold of myself!

1 comment:

Lynn Leaming said...

How blessed Ava is to be so loved by her mom! That was a great song in Mama Mia. When a bunch of us went to see it I was sitting next to Shirley Broom who has a graduating senior, she went through several kleenexes as well.