Friday, January 9, 2009

Getting Older Gracefully

My latest book review is for What's Age Got to Do with It by Robin McGraw. I was intrigued by this book about "living your happiest and healthiest life" because I am getting well-established in my 30's now and starting to think about how to maintain health and beauty into my 40's, 50's and beyond. It's hard for me to think about because I can't imagine sticking with the fashion and beauty rituals of my 20's, but I don't really know what to do differently as I age. It's definitely going to be a learning experience. I think Robin McGraw's book is full of lots of great advice about beauty products, the effects of food and exercise on the body, caring for hair and skin, fashion tips, and best of all how to accept yourself and love yourself while trying to be the best you can be. I like how she emphasizes self-care as an important necessary thing. Women can often forget to take care of themselves as they take care of everyone else. She is also very vocal about her faith in God throughout the book. She mentions several times that she believes God has a plan for each of our lives. Part of God's plan for her, in allowing her this platform to reach many women, is to pass on the things she has learned over the years about looking and feeling healthy. The only thing I was not so jazzed about was the long section on hormone therapy. Taking supplements of all these different hormones to do all these different types of things depending on what your blood work revealed that you needed. It seems like something only rich people might have the time and money to do, and not such a workable thing for anyone else. It also seemed a little bit questionable to me, since I have never heard anyone else mention these things before. It sounded like it might just be her own personal fixation that might not really be all it's cracked up to be. More research might reveal me to be wrong about that, but that was my initial reaction. I'll give it 4 out of 5 stars.

No comments: