Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Great Eight=Great Read

Famous figure skater Scott Hamilton's book The Great Eight: How to be Happy Even When You Have Every Reason to be Miserable is a quick and inspiring read. I finished it in one afternoon. The book outlines his 8 ways of thinking and acting that will help produce happiness in life even when circumstances are bad. I love the stories from his life experiences that are sprinkled throughout the book. I also love his clear story of becoming a Christian within the past decade. I can tell that he has a love for God that moves him to action and service. As I read, I found him to be very likable, honest, sincere, smart, wise, and encouraging. I even teared up a couple of times when reading some of his touching stories about beating cancer. He does a lot of motivational speaking engagements and that comes across in the pages of the book. He is good at talking to people and encouraging people. My only gripe, and it is sort of small, is that I wish he had used the word joy instead of happiness. I think our culture is too hung up on happiness and that God doesn't necessarily promise us happiness, but we can have joy even in sorrow and difficulty. I really think this was the message of the book, but I was hung up on the word happiness which doesn't speak the same way to me as joy. It's a good read and made me think about my reactions to circumstances in my life and how I might deal with those things better. I gave it 4 out of 5 stars.

1 comment:

Lynn Leaming said...

I saw this book at Mardel's yesterday and wondered what "The Great Eight" was? Was it 8 points?
I would love to read this if you can loan it.