Friday, April 3, 2009

An Offer You Could Refuse

You could refuse to read Michael Franzese's book and not miss too much. The former mob boss's book of insider business tips has a few gems, but is overall full of common sense business tips that even I, a stay-at-home mom mostly removed from the business world, know. The small book contrasts a Machiavelli (the end justifies the means) and Solomon (integrity first) way of life/business, asking the reader to decide which way of life to choose. For this reason I would recommend the book to younger people. College age, or just-out-of-college readers would benefit more from this basic outline of the two world views (and the warnings of choosing poorly) more than one who is already established in the business world and has most likely already made their decisions about this. I did enjoy the stories of Franzese's former life as a mobster sprinkled in to illustrate the lessons of the book. (Although I must admit a few times he came across as quite arrogant.) I think I would really like to read his other books about how he quit the mob and lived to tell about it! I do appreciate the book's message of integrity. Everyone knows that moral corruption and greed are running rampant in today's business world. If anyone is inspired to do business in a moral, ethical way after reading this book then some good has come from it.

No comments: