Wednesday, April 1, 2009

What did you read?

What did you read as a "kid?" I'm using the term to refer to the age of about 7-17. I didn't like all of these for the full decade, but at various times these were some of my favorites:

Ripley's Believe it Or Not Books My parents had a few of these on the shelves and I was fascinated by the strange things I found inside them. There were funny tombstone epitaphs, people with creepily long fingernails curled like rope, photos of torture devices, and descriptions of eerie events that I just knew could not be true.

Nancy Drew Series I loved the mystery aspect, but being the hopeless romantic, I couldn't help but long for a little more action between Nancy and Ned.

Trixie Beldon Series I recently picked up a copy of a Trixie Beldon book only to find that these are really awfully written. I loved them as a girl. My favorite one involved Trixie being kidnapped and tied up. However, that smart girl recalled a trick her horse would play when getting saddled. She inhaled air and flexed her muscles so later she could "deflate" and the rope would slide off. It saved her life and the lives of her friends, including her best friend, Honey. How would you like to be named Honey?

The Hardy Boys Series My grandparents owned the full set of these books. I would read one or two a day when I visited them in the summers. I was in love with the Hardy Boys. I think my main fantasy was that they would drive up in their old jeep, rescue me from my grandparent's house, and take me on a real adventure. Not that I didn't like my grandparent's house, but you know how that can be for a teenage kid sometimes...

Choose Your Own Adventure Books How cool were these? Somebody had a great idea when they invented these although they are really the best only the first few times through.

Little House Series Oh I loved these. I wanted to live the prairie life. I still do.

OK, all of these are in the lower range of the ages I listed above. For some reason I am having trouble thinking of what I liked to read as an older teen. I read a ton. I read all the time. But I can't think of a particular series I was into. I'll get back to you on this.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I also read Nancy Drew, the Boxcar Kids, Little House on the Prairie series. And the Janette Oke series. I also got addicted to Mary Higgins Clark at some point. Oh, and Sweet Valley High. Yep.

Lindsay said...

Nancy Drew, Babysitters Club, and Sweet Valley High were my favorites as a kid.

Suzanne N. said...

I loved all the Bobbsey Twin books. I finally sold them all except, now I collect old ones from the 1920's- 1940's. I also liked Nancy Drew and Trixie Belden, and loved Little House books.

Christina said...

I read Nancy Drew, almost all of the R.L. Stein murder mystery books, The Little House Series (I heart them), Ethan Frome, Their Eyes Were Watching God, some Mary Higgins Clark, and Sweet Valley High (I also had this game). Fun post!

Quad Squad! said...

I was also a fan of Nacy Drew and the Choose Your Own Adventure books. And I also read The Babysittes Club and Sweet Valley High! Oh, and i defintely went through a scary-book phase, R.L. Stien and some other guy, I can't remember. And i loved the Anne of Green Gables series too!

Amanda said...

I also loved Nancy Drew. I also read the Babysitters Club books. When I was in late elementary I loved Judy Blume. My favorite book during that period was Wait Till Helen Comes by Mary Downing Hahn. It was spooky.