Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Embracing Summer

I'm a big fan of fall and winter. It's always been that way. I've never thought fondly of summer. To me, summer was a thing to be tolerated until the wonderful seasons after it roll around again. But for the first time in my life, I am mildly attracted to summer and the experiences it has to offer. I know that might sound crazy, that somehow for the last 32 years I have avoided recognizing what summer has to offer. I've gone on beach trips before and had a nice time. I've enjoyed swimming before this season. I'm not sure how to explain it properly. Rather than just enjoying summer experiences, I am actually becoming fond of them in a way that compares to the way I have felt about only fall and winter experiences in the past. Before now, if I had been told that I could no longer sit by the pool reading, or play on a sandy beach on a hot Summer day, I would have shrugged and been fine with it. I didn't need Summer cook-outs, sprinklers, brown skin, or to watch my kids splash around in the pool. Now I am beginning to crave those things. I have no idea what has caused this change in me, though I think it's a good thing. I doubt if summer will ever be my favorite season. But growing in appreciation for it sure will make the year much nicer as I wait for my true loves, fall and winter.

No comments: