Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Birthday Purse

It's bright, it's big, it's red. It can hold my wallet, tissues, phone, a book, snacks, and a couple of diapers without screaming "I'm a MOM" to everyone I pass on the street. (Although the three kids I'll inevitably have in tow will probably give it away.)

I chose it, but it's a birthday gift from my in-laws. Thanks! I looked at a lot of purses today, and none seemed quite right until this little beauty beckoned to me from the last row on the rack. Heaven opened, beams of light streamed down, and I thought I heard the faint sound of a chorus as my eyes locked onto it.

For a few months I have been feeling like it might be time to move on from carrying my compact forest green Eddie Bauer diaper bag every single place I went. It wasn't just a diaper bag, for crying out loud, it was a beat-up, lining coming undone, crumb-filled disaster. Though it actually looked halfway decent considering I have been using it for 6 1/2 years. Yes, unfortunately you read that right. And although 1% of the time (dinner at Chamberlain's, for example) I would grab a small brown purse instead, the diaper bag was my almost constant companion. That diaper bag went with me to Target, the grocery store, trips to the park, even book club meetings! People, I took the diaper bag with me as my purse even when I did not have any children with me. That is the sad state of affairs in which I found myself.

So I decided to find a large, stylish purse that could still hold a few "kid necessities," while salvaging my fashion statement. After scanning hundreds of purses at several mall department stores, I finally found what I wanted at Marshall's of all places. So besides looking great, it also didn't break the bank. I gave it a test drive at the grocery store this afternoon, and it worked great. The diaper bag is officially gone. Well, not gone, just not in use. After I completely cleaned it out, I just couldn't get rid of it. That little bag has been with me through three babies. I gave it a place of honor on a shelf in my closet.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Cute! I love it! There will be a day when you will get rid of the Eddie Bauer bag...maybe just not today.

Lauren C. said...

I LOVE your new purse!

belinda said...

buying a new purse is a very big commitment . . . I have certain criteria for a new purse.