Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Cooking for Book Club

It was my turn to host book club this month, which is something I love to do! I like planning a special meal for some of my best friends. First, I set the fall mood with this lovely bouquet of flowers.

Because of the cooler temperatures, I was able to make one of my favorite comfort foods: stew. I had never made lamb stew before, but it played into the book we had read. The main character loves the lamb stew she eats in the capital city, and the same lamb stew is part of a reward she receives later in the book. Lamb stew isn't a huge part of the book, but it does get mentioned!

Since lamb seems like a Greek food in my mind, a Greek salad went perfectly with it. Personally, I think feta cheese is like bacon. It makes everything better.

Here is a picture of the stew. I think if I had cut the veggies into bigger chunks, it would have been more attractive. But the taste was excellent.

The highlight of the evening was this gorgeous apple pie. September makes me think of apples, and I had been wanting to make a homemade pie for a while. This was my first attempt at making a lattice top for a pie. The top crust is so brown because this baby gets doused in a buttery sugar mixture that seeps down into the apples while it bakes. It is one of the best things I have ever tasted.

The birthday honoree for the evening had to make her own whipped cream. I had the supplies, but she had the expertise. Last time I tried to make whipped cream I forgot to add any sugar. I decided to sit back and let the pro do things right.

More about the evening will be posted here: B.A.D. Girls Book Club
and recipes can be found here: B.A.D. Girls Recipe Blog

2 comments:

Quad Squad! said...

Your book club is about the only thing that ever makes me willing to leave TN! I think I could leave happily if it meant we were moving to your town!Then I could join your book club and eat your yummy food! My book club is not nearly this lucky in the food department! But they have me, so maybe it's an even trade! Hahaha!

Lauren C. said...

That apple pie is a masterpiece!