Saturday, December 19, 2009

Best Books of 2009

Need a last minute Christmas gift for a reader?
Here are some of the best books out of about 65 I read this year:

For the Science Fiction/Action fan:
The Hunger Games and Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins. These are marketed to young adults, but don't let that fool you. My entire book club loved these books and we are eagerly awaiting the last book of the trilogy. See the reviews on our book club here and here.

Also:
Don't forget the Abhorsen trilogy by Garth Nix. Three wonderful books (Sabriel, Lirael, and Abhorsen) that are reminiscent of the Harry Potter series. Jam packed with magical action and the dark presence of death.

For the Fiction lover:
The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton is an epic journey, and a grown-up fairy tale. There are twists and turns galore as the fascinating story of a young woman looking for her past emerges. Read about it here.

Also:
What a unique twist for a WWII tale. And told only in letters (I doubted it, but it really works!)

For the Non-Fiction fan:
Same Kind of Different as Me by Ron Hall and Denver Moore tells the compelling story of how lives can be changed when we step out of our preconceived ideas and comfort zones. Reviewed by the Bad Girls book club here.

For the Religious Reader:

The Pursuit of God by A.W. Tozer- my new favorite Christian living author. This man has amazing insight into what it means to live in communion with God. Have never been more challenged.

Also:

The Irresistible Revolution by Shane Claiborne is another challenging book. He's got big ideas about how we can live out the true calling of Christ. And he shares them in a witty, thoughtful, objective way. Our book club reviewed this here.

Best Classic I read this year:
Cry, the Beloved Country by Alan Patton was a moving look at South Africa, politics, and human relationships in general.

For the Memoir Lover:
My Life in France by Julia Child is rated a 7 by me, but I think it has grown on me over time. I truly enjoyed this memoir much more than a 7 conveys. I found her life fascinating and inspiring. The book was well-written.

And you can see my entire list of books and ratings on the 2009 book list.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Becky,
Thank you for mentioning Same Kind of Different as Me on your blog! I work with Thomas Nelson, and we would love to follow your blog and hear what readers think of this exciting book. I also want to let you know that Ron and Denver have just released a new book What Difference Do It Make? which updates readers on their activity since the first book came out. Please contact me with your mailing address if you are interested in receiving a complimentary copy of the new book for review on your site at your convenience.

Thanks!

Jodi Hughes
pubintern@thomasnelson.com