Saturday, February 27, 2010

Craft

I'm a bit giddy this morning because I am planning to go to the craft store today. Last night I visited a friend's new apartment and the thing I was most excited about for her was that she now lives less than a mile from a Hobby Lobby. That is the good life. I have to drive a lot longer than that, but it is worth it. Hobby Lobby is my favorite craft store. They have everything. Furniture, decor, fabric, every craft imaginable...and they don't waste a lot of space on the things I don't care about (like fake flowers, hello Michaels!)

The reason I am so excited about my planned visit today is that I actually have a couple of things in mind that I want to make. Most of the time I amble through a craft store without goals in mind. It's still fun, but not in the same way as going in with a mission and choosing things that will accomplish that mission.

Isn't making things wonderful? There is this feeling of accomplishment and pride in creating something beautiful. PBS had a show called "Craft" that only ran about two episodes, but it was amazing. It showcased artisans from all over the country. Each of these people were very unique in what they made, but they were all so talented and so connected with their products. It's hard for me to imagine a more fulfilling job than working with your hands all day to create beautiful products.

I made quilts before Ava was born, have dabbled in crochet and sewing, and would love to try painting and pottery. I had an urge the other day to buy a charcoal pencil and do some sketching. I have no idea where that came from. That doesn't seem like me, but maybe I've been stifling my creative spirit so long that my brain is making desperate appeals.

Maybe I'll pick up that pencil at Hobby Lobby today along with my other items. I can't wait to get started on some projects.

1 comment:

Brandy said...

My boys still use that quilt you made when Phillip was born. I thought you did a wonderful job on it!