Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Detergent Snob


Hi, my name is Becky, and I am a detergent snob. Recovering snob. No, make that fully recovered detergent snob. I'm soooooo over it.

I had been using Gain powder detergent for the past 15 years or so. I first discovered Gain when doing laundry at another person's house in college. I loved the way it smelled! So, I began to use it exclusively. As with most major detergent brands, Gain is not cheap. A regular sized box costs about $10.

I've dutifully forked over my $10 per box for the past 15 years. But one day a few months ago, I found myself out of detergent on laundry day. I went to the nearest store, Kroger, and perused the laundry isle. Before I could reach out and grab my same old box of Gain, Fate intervened. I happened to look at the bottles of liquid detergent and saw that one brand called Sun was on sale for $2.50 per bottle. The regular price was only about $3. I was shocked that any detergent would cost so little. I figured it was probably not any good. But, I had $3 in my pocket and felt empowered by the thought that I could use my pocket change to buy laundry detergent. So I decided to just try it. I figured...What's the harm? If it isn't any good, I've only lost $2.50.

Guess what! Sun laundry detergent works just fine. My clothes are just as clean now as they were when I used Gain. I am even pleased with the faint clean scent of this detergent. I feel like I've been throwing my money away for years.

But here's something interesting...Target doesn't carry Sun, or any other cheap brands of detergent. So far, I have only been able to find it at Kroger. So I stocked up with 2 large bottles (costing a grand total of $5) last time I went to Kroger, and will continue to buy it there.

Is anyone out there up for the "Sun Challenge?" It could end up saving you money!

p.s. The image of the laundry bottle says 29 loads, but the bottles I have been buying for $2.50 each are concentrated and do 40 or more loads.

1 comment:

Brooke said...

I have a friend that makes her own detergent. It costs her just pennies and she's happy with it. If you want the "recipe," I could get it for you.