Monday, February 8, 2010

Lucas

Three years ago today was a very special day. I have to smile when I think about how surprised I was when Lucas made his entrance into this world. We had chosen not to find out the gender in advance, but I was just sure he was girl. I'm not sure why I was surprised, given my track record at guessing the gender of my children was 0 and 2 at that point. At least I kept my losing streak intact.

I've been a winner in every other way when it comes to this sweet boy. I think anyone who knows him will agree he is quite a charmer. I love that super blond hair and those deep, dark, enormous brown eyes...also that adorable little smile, outgoing personality, and boundless energy of his.

And as if he didn't look cute enough, it gets even better when he opens his mouth. He says the sweetest things to me and sings the best songs. He asks hilarious questions, tells jokes that don't make sense, and he rejoices exuberantly over the smallest good things in life.

His wonder at the world around him is a constant reminder to me to slow down and enjoy the present. His innocence motivates me to be more pure. His love promotes deeper love in me. I wonder if I teach him anywhere near the amount that teaches me each day.

I am so thankful for this child. I am thrilled to celebrate his birthday and the gift he has been in the life of this family.

No comments: