Monday, April 5, 2010

Free Running Iphone App

If you are a runner, walker, biker, skier, etc, AND you have an Iphone, listen up.

There is the coolest free app called Runkeeper that you have to download. Right now. I was complaining to Cody at some point about how I wish there were an easy way to know how far I had jogged/walked on a given outing. He said he figured there must be an Iphone app that uses the GPS inside the phone to track that sort of thing. And guess what? He was right!

When you set up an account on Runkeeper, it pinpoints the GPS location of the phone. You hit "start" and begin your activity (there is a list of activities to choose from). The phone screen displays how far you have traveled, your average speed, and a few other details. After the activity is stopped, the whole thing is stored on the phone and also online. I can go to Runkeeper.com and read all the details about each run I have done. It tells the start and stop time, the distance traveled, the average speed, how many minutes per mile, it splits and lists the average speed for each mile, AND it shows a map of the route I took.

This little app let me accurately measure the loop around the park that my partner and I usually run. We had no idea until yesterday that the loop is .65 miles. Now we know that 5 laps=the 5K we are training to run. Handy, huh? And next time we run through the neighborhood, we'll know exactly how far we went. I am so excited about this!

No comments: