Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Cheap

I think I have always known this deep down, but only recently have I openly admitted it to myself and embraced it: I am so cheap when it comes to clothes. I don't mean I dress cheap like a tramp...I mean I refuse to spend much money on clothing. Basically, I hate to spend more than $20 on an item of clothing, regardless of what it is: shoes, shirts, dresses, jeans, etc. And though $20 is kind of my upper limit, I would really prefer to spend around $10 per item of clothing. And of course, I am happy to spend less than $10 also!

Some people are probably wondering how it's even possible to spend so little on clothing. Target, clearance sales at various stores, and thrift shops are my top 3 answers. I often buy things during the wrong season and tuck them away until I can use them. I do splurge every once and a while. But that is extremely rare.

I think there are a few reasons why I have this frugal attitude toward buying clothes. First, I am a born bargain shopper. It spills into every avenue of my spending. I also feel like clothing can get ruined so easily, especially when surrounded by 3 young children, so why spend a ton of money on it if it won't last. I guess also figuring into it is my annoyance with ridiculously overpriced clothing and a refusal to get caught up in brand names, fashion, or "keeping up appearances." I'm just not interested in it.

I think my wardrobe is fine the way it is, though it probably wouldn't hurt to loosen my fist a bit when it comes to buying clothes. It's just so ingrained, this idea of not spending much on clothes, that it is very hard to make larger purchases.




No comments: