Friday, August 12, 2011

Best Okra

Our okra plants are producing like crazy! They and the eggplants are about the only things flourishing in these unbearably high temps this summer. The Dallas Morning News had a recipe for roasted okra so I tried it this week and it's my new favorite way to cook this veggie. I tweaked the recipe a bit and also sliced up an eggplant to roast with the okra...here's how to make it:

1 pound small okra, rinsed and dried
2 TBS olive oil
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. paprika
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. salt

Heat oven to 450, toss okra in olive oil to coat. In small bowl, combine all spices and whisk together. Toss okra with spice mixture. Spread okra on rimmed baking sheet and roast 12-15 minutes until tender, turning once. Serve immediately with lemon wedges if desired.

The recipe above is my own version, which increased all the spices a bit and added ginger to the mix. These spices are so delicious, you really can't add to much I think. This recipe reminds me of my own Indian way of making okra which I posted on allrecipes many years ago. However, since this new recipe calls for whole okra it's quicker and easier to make.

No comments: