Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Can't Believe It

I've been wearing contacts for over 20 years. I'm the kind of person who takes seriously the warning that sleeping with them in is really bad for my eyes. I hate to even close my eyes for a quick 30 minute nap if I have my contacts in. And when I have done it, my eyes get so dry that I can barely peel the contacts off again.

So how is it that after decades of conscientious contact wearing, I went to bed last night without taking them out? I just went to bed, without giving them a single thought, and slept the entire night with my contacts in my eyes. How is it even possible? What in the world happened to me?

I woke up this morning, and the world was a foggy mess when I opened my eyes. I was still half asleep and couldn't figure out what was going on, so I put my glasses on and the foggy mess got even worse. I was about a second away from panic when I suddenly thought... are my contacts in?? I reached up and gently touched one eye and could not believe I felt my contact there.

I immediately took them out and threw them away. Then I started planning how I'd live life as a blind person since I had just done the most awful thing in the world to my poor eyes. And yes, my eyes were hurting and dry. Thankfully, they returned to normal pretty quickly and I haven't noticed any far-reaching ill effects...so far.

Mostly, I am in shock. This is the kind of thing that makes me think, well, if I can forget to take my contacts out before I go to sleep, I could forget to get Lucas out of the car one hot summer day or something horrible like that.

I hate feeling like I am losing my mind!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I cannot believe that is the first time you've done that. If I had contacts, I would do that all the time because I am always falling asleep before I intend to at night!