Monday, December 5, 2011

Love

When I run on the treadmill at the gym, I watch the Bravo channel on TV. I feel lucky if a reality cooking competition is playing. I'm bummed if it's a stupid reality show about single people living in Dallas or like today, the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills or wherever they are. These women have it all, but I noticed that their marriages are crumbling and miserable.

It got me thinking about how it doesn't matter if you've got $50 in the bank or $50,000, the killer for a marriage is and always will be the same thing: Selfishness. Selfishness kills any relationship. Any time a person has the mindset of what can I get out of this, how can I get my needs met, how are you going to fulfill me...there's a problem.

The opposite of selfishness is, of course, Love. Love is wanting what's best for another person even if it costs you something. And I use the word cost loosely because it probably won't be monetary (though it could be). It might cost your pride, time, wants, comfort, etc. I guess in a perfect world, couples would fight over who gets to be more sacrificial. It kind of makes me bristle to read that. Why should I be more sacrificial? What if I get walked all over...I better assert my rights! Ah, selfishness creeping back into my thoughts.

Turn my heart toward your statutes and not toward selfish gain. Ps 119:36

Then he said to them all "Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me." Luke 9:23

No one should seek their own good, but the good of others. 1 Cor 10:24

Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility, value others above yourselves. Phil 2:3

For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16

No comments: