Friday, February 24, 2012

Crochet Party

I had a blast yesterday evening with about 10 other women who came over here for a "crochet party." All of these women are so neat, so much fun to be with. It all started a couple of months ago when I gauged the interest of some friends about learning to crochet. We got together and about 8 women learned to make a basic scarf. (Note: That was a crazy night...teaching 8 beginners, most who had never even held a crochet hook was a teensy bit harder than I expected. But they all stuck with it and I am amazed at how quickly they have progressed!) The crochet "bug" took off like wildfire in most of them, so my friend Erin suggested I hold another party and teach crocheting in the round, which is the skill needed in order to make hats. Almost all of the original scarf-makers came back and there were even new faces here tonight.

Of course, several of the women mentioned that their husbands or friends said, "No really, where are you going tonight?" when they told them they were headed to a crocheting party. One even asked if "crocheting party" was some kind of code for "bar." And it's certain we are not the typical grannies or dowdy types one might associate with the word "crochet."

I think all of us have a desire to create. It's inspiring to hold a skein of beautiful yarn and wonder what to make from it. It's comforting to form a beautiful and/or useful thing with our very own hands. It's fun to wear something that we made or give it as a gift.

And it's even better to do those things with a group of like-minded women while gabbing, feasting, and sipping wine. Just drop me an email if you'd like to join in on the next party. It's a great way to spend an evening.

1 comment:

Jenni said...

wish I could have joined you guys last night!! but, my kitchen tile is now grouted and I'm one step closer to reining in the chaos that a torn up kitchen creates. definitely keep me on the list for next time!