Saturday, June 16, 2012

June Run: Ava and the Dadfest 5K

I am so proud of this girl!
It was exciting for me to run with my sweet daughter Ava as she raced in her first ever 5K.  The Dadfest race is a family focused event so there were tons of kids around and lots of activities before and after the race.  We looked around a bit, and before we knew it the 5K was about to begin.
I wasn't sure what to expect because Ava had not trained at all for running this distance.  I wondered how she would hold up.  Turns out, she has a lot of stamina and the will of a champion.  We jogged (ran is more like it...her default speed is quick) and walked at her command, and she pushed herself.  We probably ran almost half the race and fast-walked the rest.  She never once complained even when I could tell she was getting tired near the end.  She went strong all the way to the end and finished in 44:26 which I think is astounding!
But of course these races I am doing with the special people in my life this year are not about the finishing time, or the pace, or performance.  These races are about spending time with people I love.  So today was a special treat for me because spending a morning with Ava is wonderful.  She is so beautiful inside and out...her sweet spirit is a blessing to everyone who knows her.  

I loved sharing the joy of running with my girl today.  And I hope that I am setting an example for her that will encourage her to stay healthy and active without finding her value in her appearance or performance.  

3 comments:

writtenbyamanda said...

How wonderful that you can share the love of running with your daughter! Great story!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to do this with my kids! How inspiring.

belinda said...

she looks so much like you!