Saturday, August 4, 2012

August Run: Emily (& Greta) and the Glow 5K


My friend Emily is a real trooper.  She doesn't run, but she was open-minded when I asked if she would do a 5K with me at some point this year.  I think she might have required only that it not be during the hottest month of the year.  So me, being the good friend that I am, requested that she run with me in none other than August...and then I played the birthday card as I begged her to do it.  You are probably wondering why she is friends with me at all.

Well, that's just the kind of person she is.  She is selfless, loving, encouraging, and I might as well mention she's one of the best listeners I've ever met.  I love spending time with Emily and her precious 1 year old daughter who is my BFF.  I don't like to brag, but Emily's baby kinda likes me, and you know babies are good judges of character.

When I happened across the Glow Run, I knew I had to do it.  It was on my birthday...a Friday night!  How often does that happen?  It was un-timed and put the emphasis on having fun instead of performance which is where my heart has been with this monthly running plan of mine all year.  It was going to be special, I just knew it!  I wanted some special people to run it with me and I got that.  Emily and Greta are wonderful friends to me.  I'm so blessed.

There were lots of firsts last night.  It was my first birthday run, Greta's first night event, and Emily's first 5K, period!  It was also the first 5K I've ever run where they ran out of water and had none to offer us after we had finished.  What race doesn't have piles and piles of bottled water available for it's runners, especially when it's over 90 degrees outside?

But, thirsty as we were, we made it to Afrah for some post race refreshments.  Afrah, a Mediterranean restaurant near my house, was hopping last night even when we left at 11 PM.  I had been wanting to try that place forever and was so glad to go there.  Now I'm looking forward to going back to try their famous lunch buffet sometime soon.  The highlight last night was the pistachio gelato...amazing!

I almost forgot to mention how we started the night at Aboca's, a delicious little Italian place.  The Veggie pizza and Appetizer Sampler plate were more than enough food for the three of us.  And the bottle of Syrah I brought along was tasty even if it wasn't the most healthy pre-race drink.

It was such a fun evening.  A memorable way to spend my 36th birthday for sure.  I am so thankful for beautiful, authentic friendships...a body that is healthy enough to jog, walk, dance, move...a heart that is learning to love others and to love myself...a family that supports and loves me...a God who pursues me without tiring...a joy born out of mourning and brokenness.  I'm just feeling overwhelmed with gratitude right now, for everything.




No comments: