Sunday, September 16, 2012

A Year Ago...

A year ago at this time, I was on my first ever silent retreat.  I didn't go with a church group, or with any group at all.  I set it up for myself and by myself.  (With a big push from Cody and with all his blessings.)  I found a small cabin near a lake in Oklahoma.  I took books, journals, my Bible, a camera, candles, some meaningful music, crochet supplies, and an open mind and heart.

I was very silent, and fairly still.  I listened...a lot.  I went on a few jogs, a few walks, and a drive to visit my grandparents' grave.  I took some pictures, read a lot, memorized some Psalms, and wrote about it all in my journal.

I had no agenda.  I was only trying to be available and open to what God might want to say to me.  There was no tv, computer, or even phone...it was just me and God.  And he ministered to my heart for 3 days.  It was a very special time that I remember fondly one year later.  I heard some truths that I had been needing to hear.  I felt drawn into the lap of God and comforted.

This entry in my journal is something I feel comfortable sharing and sums up a little of what that weekend was about for me:

Be still.  (Don't scramble, rationalize, defend, grasp, argue, hide, or pretend.)

And know. (Without a doubt, deep in your quiet, still, innermost place.)

That I (not you, not any person whose notice or good opinion you might seek)

Am God.  (the Infinite, ever-present, Creator, Lover and Protector of your soul.)

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart and you will find rest for your souls."  Matthew 11:28-29

No comments: