Friday, February 22, 2013

Markus Zusak

I had the coolest experience last night.  If you know me at all, you know I love to read.  You might even know that one of my most favorite books of all time is The Book Thief.  Last night, a friend and I got to hear the author of The Book Thief, Markus Zusak, speak at a literary event.

I got there early so we had great seats on the third row.  Zusak came onto the stage and was a delightful speaker.  For the next hour the audience was captivated by his fantastic story-telling, his slight self-deprecating humor, and his warm and humble demeanor.  I couldn't believe how quickly the hour passed.  Then he took a few questions from the audience.  As soon as the closing applause sounded, my friend and I jumped up and sped to the book signing area.  We were about the 8th ones in line...not bad!

I had brought my paperback copy of The Book Thief, but my friend also generously surprised me with a hard copy.  So I had the paperback inscribed to me and decided to have the hard copy inscribed to Ava.  I figure it will be meaningful in a few years for me to share such a favorite book of mine with her, and how sweet that I can give her her own signed copy of it when I do!

The evening was just perfect.  I can't describe what a treat it was for me to see one of my favorite authors in person and to get my books signed.




2 comments:

Rachel said...

How cool!

Carol said...

now you will have lots of people curious about that book. sounds like it was a fun evening.