Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Temper Tantrum

Last night I reached a limit that I didn't even know was there...and then I proceeded to throw a tantrum like a little baby.

I've been coughing for almost a week.   We all know how annoying a cough is, right?  Especially at bedtime, when you lay down with a fierce desire for sleep but instead just cough and cough and cough.
Last night after coughing for 30 minutes or so, I reached a breaking point.  I got out of bed and stormed into the kitchen for a drink of water.

When I got to the kitchen, my water glass was not where I had left it earlier in the evening.  Being the mature, reasonable adult that I am, I banged my open hands repeatedly and extremely hard on the counter.

That makes sense, right?

An immediate pain alerted me that I had broken a blood vessel in my thumb which was now bleeding out under my skin while turning into a lovely hematoma.  I didn't even know I could bang my hands hard enough to do that.  (I have been working out.)

It hurt.  I was frustrated.  I cried.

I started pacing around the bedroom, crying while holding my hurt thumb, and of course still coughing. I'm sure Cody thought I had completely lost my mind.  Maybe I had.  Can excessive coughing cause temporary insanity?

I eventually calmed down.  I grabbed a cough drop and thankfully the Nyquil I had taken earlier started to kick in so I finally fell asleep.

Today my coughing has been much less.  But I have a painful bruise on my thumb that has caused me some grief.  Can't blame anyone but myself for that.

No comments: