Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Worst Sunburn...Ever

I was reminiscing last night about the worst sunburn of my life. It was Spring Break about 9 years ago. I had a week off from teaching so I talked Cody into taking a trip to Port Aransas to hang out on the beach. This trip was doomed for a few reasons. First of all, it was cold in March at Port Aransas! It was too cold to really enjoy laying on the beach. So we did not do much of that at all. We did, however, hang out at the condo pool for an afternoon. And that is where history was made. I received the worst sunburn of my life. I guess I did not use any sunscreen because 1. I was younger and much stupider 2. It felt cool outside so I didn't think I needed sunscreen 3. I really wanted a tan and wasn't going to let sunscreen interfere with the tanning process in any way. Later that night I started turning red- bright red only on my front half. It continued getting more and more red and more and more painful. By bedtime I was nearly weeping. I think we bought some kind of emergency soothing cream which didn't really help at all. I was in so much pain, I couldn't even stand the sheet to touch my skin. And although that night was painful, it did not even come close to the pain I felt as I tried to get out of bed the next morning. All my skin was so tight, just bending my legs to get out of bed was like torture. I really could compare the pain of this sunburn to the pain of childbirth. It was that bad.
I could barely even walk for several days after, which really put a damper on my Spring Break vacation. I think it was then that I swore to myself never to make that mistake again. And thankfully, I haven't.

Probably everyone my age has had a sunburn that bad at least once in their life. But I think we are so much more careful these days especially when it comes to our kids. Although, now I have been hearing lately that most sunscreens contain dangerous chemicals that get absorbed into the bloodstream. Well, if it isn't one thing, it's another! So this week I am on the lookout for a natural sunscreen to start using on the kids. Anyone have a favorite?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I've never had a sunburn that bad because I don't burn easily...but I do remember my worst tan. That sounds weird, but one summer while on a 2-week vacation with my family, I definitely over did it with the tan. Man, was I dark. Scary dark.

As for safe sunscreen...check out this website: http://healthychild.org/blog/comments/choosing_the_safest_sunscreen/

Lindsay said...

Yes, I have been hearing that as well about sunscreens. Cannot win for losing I tell you. Thank you, Rachel, for the website. I am going to check it out right now. Yes, Becky I have had several terrible burn experiences - my shoulders will never be the same.

Unknown said...

Ok, a body+soul magazine arrived in my mail today (I don't subscribe, but it showed up...with my name on it no less) and what do you know, but they discussed natural sunscreens in there! Here are the ones they mentioned:

1. Nature's Gate Aqua Block SPF50
2. Korres High Protection Sunscreen for Children SPF30
3. Badger Broad-Spectrum SPF30
4. Sunbrellas Complete Sunblock Spray SPF26
5. John Masters Organics Natural Mineral Sunscreen SPF30
6. Aubrey Organics Natural Sun SPF25