Thursday, July 29, 2010

It's In My Head

Last night, Karen and I ran two miles and for the first time in my life it seemed like such a short distance. That is probably because the last 2 times I have run I did 4 miles. It's amazing to me how distance is all relative, just like so much in life. Compared to 4 miles, 2 does seem brief. But it's all in my head. If I made myself run 5 miles a few times then 3 would probably seem like a piece of cake.

My short shorts made their debut last night as well. It's tough being friends with Karen because her legs are about 10 miles long and even though I am quite tall, I still feel kind of short and dumpy standing next to her. Adding to the problem is her abundant use of shorts that are a bit shorter than mine. I decided to take matters into my own hands and even up the shorts issue, hoping to add an illusion of length to my legs. I never thought I would be able to pull off a 3 inch inseam, and perhaps I didn't, but I sure did try.

I've been wanting to do some speed work on the treadmill for about a week and have not had the chance. Now don't laugh, but to me speed work means going at 6.2 miles per hour for about a quarter mile instead of my usual 5.2. If I can start there maybe I can increase my speed a little. Last night Karen and I were running at close to a 6mph speed without even realizing it so that is a good sign.

No comments: