Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Panic

Long story short, Ava asked to go several campsites away to visit with some friends one evening on our church camping trip. Unbeknownst to me, she ended up going on a hike with Cody and the boys and another family. Over an hour had gone by, and it had gotten very dark. I was concerned because the hikers weren't back yet, and also starting to think Ava needed to come back down to our site. So, I went to get her, but the first bunch of girls I came across said they had not seen her all evening. The second bunch of girls said the same thing.

Insert crazy mother here, screaming Ava's name and trying not collapse from fear while passages from The Shack play in her head and her heart jumps out of her chest.

Other adults were starting to panic with me as we began to go around to each tent and RV questioning people. I think I kept repeating "oh God, oh God, oh God where can she be?" I was almost certain she had gotten lost or been taken.

Finally someone said "I think she's on a hike..." and I jumped all over that. Is she on that hike? Is she on that hike? So we ran back down to have someone call the guy leading the hike Cody and the boys went on because Cody's phone wasn't getting through. He confirmed Ava was with them.

Insert crazy with relief mother here. Weeping, sobbing, heart still pounding, saying a million thank yous to God. I have never felt anything like the fear and relief I felt that night. My mind had already gotten to the place where it was asking what am I going to do when we don't find her? I don't think I need to tell you mothers out there that is not a good place to be.

I am so thankful that everything turned out okay, and I will probably be giving all the kids extra hugs for a few weeks.

1 comment:

Christina said...

Oh my... that is extremely scary. I can't imagine, and don't want to know, how that would feel. Glad all is well and that Ava is safe and sound, whew!