Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Runner Kids

Ava and Nate have been begging to try running with me. I bought them both a good pair of shoes a few weeks ago and finally last night I took them on a run with me. I had no idea what to expect as far as their ability so I decided we would try doing a 1 minute jog/1 minute walk pattern and I was not sure how long we would keep going.

Because it was dark and I didn't want to navigate a bunch of intersections, we drove to the park which has a nice 1K loop. The kids were so excited! They could not wait to get started.

Let me tell you, I was blown away by their ability! The pattern was incredibly easy for them. They kept up a nice jogging pace and a quick walking pace, too. And, they would not shut up! They talked and talked and laughed and I kept reminding them that they needed to think about breathing deeper and that stopping the chatter might help if they were feeling out of breath. I didn't want to wear them out (and Nate had a side stitch) so we stopped after 2 loops, but they could have easily gone farther.

I am going to have to take them out on a jog more often, and I see a family 5K event in our near future.

No comments: