Thursday, August 9, 2012

Sugar Kiss Melon

It looks like a cantaloupe.  


But let me assure you...it's not a cantaloupe.

Cantaloupes are good.  Especially sweet cantaloupes are fantastic.  But a Sugar Kiss Melon is better than I ever imagined possible.  I'm ranking it up there with Medjool dates as one of the best fruits God ever created.

I bought one on a lark while browsing Central Market yesterday and boy am I glad I did.  I'll be getting them every chance I have now because tasting one of these is like sampling Heaven.

I did a little research online and found that you can actually serve these melons with a bit of prosciutto and basil leaf for an out of this world appetizer.  They are amazing on their own, but that combination sounds great to me.  I can't wait to try it!


I know what you're thinking.  It looks like an ordinary cantaloupe, big deal.  It IS a BIG deal.  I want to reach through the computer screen, grab everyone by the collar and demand that they try a Sugar Kiss Melon as soon as possible.  Yes, I probably need some sort of medication if fruit can excite me this much...I know it's crazy, but it's just that good.

Trust me on this, ok?


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so right about the Sugar Kiss Melons. I bought two today at H.E.B. My family and I ate them both, which led to me driving back to the store immediately to get three more before they ran out of them. Best fruit that I have ever tasted!

Anonymous said...

Me too! I sampled one at H.E.B. and bought two. I ate a whole one by myself! If you need medication, I do too! A week later went back and bought two more hoping for the same sweetness. And to my surprise, they were! Wow! Definitely a taste of Heaven. I was praising God for creating it! Brought some to work and HAD to share! Wonder if I can grow my own?

Anonymous said...

The best cantaloupe I have ever had was tired of buying regular ones and they had no taste do these people have watermelons because the are all horrible and want one with seeds like my cousin used to grow in Oklahoma

Randy said...

I had my first-ever Sugar Kiss melon early this year and it was ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. I have loved cantaloupe all my life and had never heard of a sugar kiss melon until early 2016. One got mixed in among the regular cantaloupe my wife bought one day and upon trying it I was utterly astounded how good it was - it was better than just good. It was beyond delicious. The next day I went back to the grocery store and purchased more of them to enjoy. I can't believe I've been wasting my money buying regular cantaloupe because most of the time they're virtually tasteless and leave me disappointed. Sugar Kiss melons are what I call "nature's candy" and as long as they're in season I keep several on-hand to enjoy. Sadly they just went out of season, so I'll have to wait until they come back before I can experience their delicious flavor again. I'm a lifelong customer of them now :)

Anonymous said...

Picked up one of these at Sam's Club in Hendersonville, NC. We got the last 2 in the bin. The BEST cantaloupe I have EVER tasted!!! None ever made it to the refrigerator. LOL... Why have I wasted my money on all the tasteless versions from the local product stands all these years??? Wish I had been able to enjoy them all summer. Can't wait for them to come back in season. Wish I had been smart enough to save the seeds...

Garden Fanatic said...

I'm an avid gardner and my go to cantaloupe every year is Ambrosia. I've never had another melon so sweet, so vigorous, so disease resistant, and so productive as Ambrosia. Talking the other day with my 96 year old mother on the phone, she said a friend shared a Sugar Kiss melon with her and it was the sweetest melon she had ever eaten. And she's 96, a lot of years to test melons out. So I've been trying to fnd where I can buy a packet of Sugar Kiss seeds. No where can I find it for sale. Sandstone must be very protective so as to keep their market. Any idea where I can get Sugar Kiss seed?